Outdoor Gatherings, Parades & Road Races
A Special Event Permit is required to hold any outdoor gathering, musical or entertainment festival, parade, or road race as defined in Chapter 14 of the Code of James City County
. Visit PermitLink
to learn more about Special Event Permits.
Permit Requirements & Exclusions
If the event meets any of these criteria it will require a permit:
- Open to the public
- Held in an open space
- Held within a public or private road right-of-way (ex: Parade or Road Race)
- Not held in a “Permanent Installation”
- Outdoor Gathering with 200 or more attendees
- Musical or entertainment festival
If the event meets any of these criteria it will not require a permit:
- Private guest list/not open to the public
- Held entirely indoors
- Held in a “Permanent Installation”
- Outdoor Gathering with less than 200 attendees
A permanent installation is considered to be a facility which is constructed for a specific purpose and use. When such facility is used for an event unrelated to its customary use, it will not be considered a permanent installation.
Applications for a Special Event Permit should be completed in our PermitLink
system at least 90 days in advance of the proposed event.