COVID-19 Vaccine

James City County’s COVID-19 Response

Can I get the latest County news delivered to my inbox?
Subscribe to our email distribution list. Select the "News Releases" option under the News Flash section to receive updates related to COVID-19 by email or text message. You can also get information about COVID-19 directly from the Virginia Department of Health (VDH).

What is James City County doing to help protect our community?
County officials are in regular communication with the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) to stay informed on this evolving situation.

The County will continue to follow guidelines issued from Governor Northam’s office, and citizens are required to wear face masks in County facilities, encouraged to practice social distancing and clean hands regularly to limit disease transmission.

Are James City County offices and facilities closed?
James City County offices and facilities are open to the public. Citizens are encouraged to wear face coverings inside public facilities and practice social distancing. To reach a specific County department, see the directory or call 757-253-6728.

What can I do if I am facing financial hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic?
Contact Social Services at 757-259-3100 to find information on programs and services that can assist individuals and families. Contact the Office of Economic Development at 757-253-6607 for information on programs and services that can assist businesses.

James City Service Authority (JCSA) has temporarily suspended all service disconnections due to nonpayment. Other utilities and service providers have made similar announcements. Check with individual companies for details.

The James City County Board of Supervisors has elected to temporarily absorb the convenience fees for credit/debit card payment. Payments made online for personal property taxes, real estate taxes, recycling invoices, landfill coupon books and bulk pickup will NOT be charged a convenience fee at this time. If you have any questions, please contact the Treasurer’s office at 757-253-6705. 

What can I do to help my community at this time?
Call 757-259-5403 if your organization has volunteer needs or if you are interested in volunteering. 

Accessing County Services 

How can I drop off documents or payments for County departments? Many County departments have drop boxes outside their offices where you can drop off documents.

Social Services

How do I contact Social Services? 
Call the main office number for Social Services at 757-259-3100.  

You can apply for Benefit Programs by calling 855-635-4370 or visiting For questions regarding Benefit Programs, call 757-259-3131 during the hours of 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Friday. You can use the agency drop box located in the parking lot to leave paperwork or applications at 5249 Olde Towne Road.  

For questions about other needs, call 757-259-3115 during the hours of 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Friday.  

Commissioner of the Revenue & Treasurer

I have a question about my taxes. Who do I call? 
Staff is available by calling the Treasurer’s Office at 757-253-6705 to assist with any tax-related questions.  

Is the Treasurer’s Office open?
Yes, the office is open to the public, we but strongly encourage any business requiring interaction be conducted by telephone for safety.

Are there ways to pay that do not require personal interaction?
Yes. Payments can be made:

  • Online at
  • By telephone at 855-329-4498
  • By using drop boxes located at the James City County Government Center and the Satellite Services office

Is there a cost to pay online and/or by credit or debit card?
No. Convenience fees for debit and credit card payments will continue to be waived through June 30, 2021. Payments made online for personal property taxes, real estate taxes, recycling invoices, landfill coupon books and bulk pickup will NOT be charged a convenience fee.

Scams & Rumor Control

Where do I report a scam? 
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is cautioning the public to be on the lookout for scammers taking advantage of fears surrounding COVID-19. For more information, or to file a complaint, call 1-877-FTC-HELP or visit

Stress & Coping

Call the Virginia C.O.P.E.S. warm line if you are feeling stressed by COVID-19 and need support. Virginia C.O.P.E.S., which stands for compassionate, optimistic, person-centered, empowering support, is a “warm” line set up to help people who are having trouble dealing with the changes in our lives due to COVID-19. Callers can receive emotional support and referrals for mental and behavioral health and other services. Unlike 911, which is used only for emergencies, a warm line offers support and gives people the chance to talk about their struggles and mental health. The COVID Warm Line number is (877) 349-6428 Toll Free. 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Friday, 5 -9 p.m. Saturday and Sunday Spanish speaking counselors are available.

If you, or someone you care about, are feeling overwhelmed with emotions like sadness, depression, or anxiety, or feel like you want to harm yourself or others:
---- Call 911
---- Visit the Disaster Distress Helpline, call 1-800-985-5990, or text TalkWithUs to 66746
---- Visit the National Domestic Violence Hotline or call 1-800-799-7233 and TTY 1-800-787-3224