Government Contracting Resources (What You Should Know to be Successful in Federal Government Contracting)
Doing Business with the Federal Government”, through direct and indirect channels, is a way to “Grow Your Business.” However, it can be cumbersome to maneuver the process. This session will offer information about:
- Understanding acronyms and first steps to position your business in preparation to apply
- Knowing what government resources are available
- Understanding changes in federal government contracting.
- How to become a Newport News Shipbuilder Supplier
- An Introduction to Developing a “Cost Proposal”
$20 in advance
Thursday, Aug. 22 from 9 a.m. until noon
Peninsula Workforce Development Center, Conference Rooms 1301-1303, 600 Butler Farm Road, Hampton VA, 23666
Hampton Roads Small Business Development Center
Nonprofit Management Institute
The Nonprofit Management Institute (Institute) is a joint initiative of the Thomas Nelson Workforce Development Center and NetworkPeninsula. The Institute began in January 2019. The goal of the Institute is to educate nonprofit professionals and equip them with best practices in all areas of nonprofit management, leadership and development.
- Classes will be held at Thomas Nelson Workforce Development Center in Williamsburg on Fridays from 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Actual class time will be five hours with one hour for lunch and two 15-minute breaks.
- Participants will receive .5 CEUs per class plus five CFRE points per class.
- The pilot year will include classes for participants to complete a Certificate in Fundraising Management and/or a Certificate in Nonprofit Leadership. Some classes can also be applied to additional Certificate programs, which will be added in subsequent years. These will include Certificates in Resource Development, Organizational Development, Financial/Legal Management, Volunteer Management, and Board Education. Ultimately, students will have an opportunity to pursue a Certificate in Nonprofit Management by completing a number of courses.
- Aug. 23, 2019 – Conflict Resolution (Nonprofit Leadership and Volunteer Management)
- Sept. 13, 2019 – Team Building Techniques & Creative Facilitation (Nonprofit Leadership and Volunteer Management)
- Oct. 11, 2019 – Board Governance (Nonprofit Leadership and Board Education)
- Nov. 8, 2019 – Essentials of Human Resource Management (Nonprofit Leadership and Organizational Development)
- Dec. 6, 2019 – Time & Meeting Management (Nonprofit Leadership)
*This class is required for anyone working toward the Certificate in Fundraising Management who has less than 3 years of experience in a fundraising position.
Thomas Nelson Workforce Development Center, 4135 Ironbound Road, Williamsburg, VA 23188
To register, please visit http://networkpeninsula.org/nmi/ for complete directions.
$75 for NetworkPeninsula members and $85 for all others
Thomas Nelson Workforce Development Center and Network Peninsula
What does it take to survive and win the hyper-competitive world of startups? This includes cracking the code on understanding the necessary mindset, managing your company, making your numbers work, avoiding hidden traps that kill startups, how to pitch your business and breaking out of a failed plan.
Meet other entrepreneurs in a relaxed social setting at monthly socials!
- Sept. 4, 2019 – Pitch Perfect at Virginia Peninsula Chamber of Commerce in Hampton
- Sept. 19, 2019 – Pitch Perfect at Piggly Wiggly in Newport News
All events are from 6-8 p.m.
Home-Based Business Lunch & Learn Series
Home-based businesses are invited to bring a bag lunch and enjoy free drinks and desserts. Each month a different locality will host a monthly session with networking, a keynote speaker and Q&A. Topics vary each month. Please view the flyer for complete details.
- Sept. 11 – Pivot Point: Recognizing When Change is Needed featuring Bill Dittmar of Executive Fusion
- Oct. 9 – Perfecting Your Presentation: Passion, Connection and Relevance featuring Curtis Cobert of the City of Hampton
- Nov. 13 – Quickbooks Quick & Dirty: Tips on Proper Bookkeeping featuring Karen Burnett of By the Book, Inc.
- Dec. 11 – Home-Based for the Holidays: Lunch & Learn Wrap-Up Event featuring Marilen Crump of Artinspired
Please RSVP to email@example.com or 757-890-3317.
Please view the flyer for complete details.
This series is sponsored by the Counties of York, Gloucester, James City and the Cities of Hampton, Newport News, Poquoson and Williamsburg.
SCORE Workshop: Bookkeeping – What It Is, Why You Need It
“My accountant says my business is profitable - why am I always broke??
Have you ever heard or said that? Accurate data of business expenses and income is important. Understanding that data and using it to identify the strengths and weaknesses of your business is even more important. This workshop will give you the information you need to do this.
Increase your knowledge and awareness of:
- the financial data essential for business management
- early detection of financial problems
- tracking and forecasting revenue
- the importance of detailed expense information
- cash and accrued accounting; why they differ and the use of each
The workshop will be taught by Florence Santoro, a principal with ABS-Accounting & Bookkeeping Solutions, a full service accounting and bookkeeping company located in York County.
$15 in advance, $20 by check at the door
Saturday, Oct. 19 from 9-11 a.m.
Greater Williamsburg Chamber & Tourism Alliance, 421 N. Boundary Street, Williamsburg, VA 23185
SCORE Workshop: How to Start & Manage Your Own Business
Are you interested in starting a business but concerned about …how to begin? ...where to begin? ...whether your idea makes sense? Here’s your chance to get some answers.
After this workshop you will know…
- how a business plan can help you
- your options for a legal structure of the business
- the importance of creating a budget
- the good news and the bad news about getting financing for your business
- how to define your product or service benefits and your target customer
- where to look for help and guidance
Don’t fall into the trap of “Build it and they will come” (because they won’t).
Free, but advance registration required.
Wednesday, Oct. 24 at 6 p.m.
Williamsburg Library, 515 Scotland Street, Room B, Williamsburg, VA, 23185
Opens Sept. 15